What is thyroid?
Thyroid is basically a butterfly shaped gland which produces the thyroid hormone. The thyroid hormone help control body metabolism to burn calories from body and controls how fast our heart beat. If the gland produces less hormone as required by our body then you may feel restless, tired OR may lose /gain weights.
Where is your Thyroid.
Moet of the people don’t even know that ” where is the thyroid located ” . Here you go; The Thyroid gland is situated at the base of our neck which produces thyroid hormone and control your body metabolism.
Types of thyroid disease:-
There are many thyroid disease, but most of them occur due to 2 types of thyroid illness. These are
- Hypothyroidism (thyroid under activity)
- Hyperthyroidism (thyroid over activity)
- Hypothyroidism (thyroid under activity) :- The Hypothyroidism symptoms occur when thyroid produces less hormone as required for the body. This low production of thyroid is also called underactive thyroid. The main cause of Hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s disease. In this case the immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid. This attack damages the thyroid so that it does not make enough hormones.
Hypothyroidism symptoms OR Underactive thyroid symptoms :-
- Weak slow heart beat
- Muscular weakness and constant fatigue
- Sensitivity to cold
- Thick puffy skin and/or dry skin
- Slowed mental processes and poor memory
- Goiter (increased size of the thyroid)
- Hyperthyroidism (thyroid over activity) :- The Hyperthyroidism symptoms occur when thyroid produces more hormone as required for the body. This high production of thyroid is also called overactive thyroid. The main cause of Hyperthyroidism is Graves’ disease which is a problem with immune system.
Hyperthyroidism symptoms OR Overactive thyroid symptoms :-
- Rapid forceful heartbeat
- Muscular weakness
- Weight loss in spite of increased appetite
- Restlessness, anxiety and sleeplessness
- Profuse sweating and heat intolerance
- Eye changes
- Goitre (increased size of the thyroid)
The above mentioned symptoms is not always true but if you think there is any problem then please contact your Physician.
You can also see the
- Hyperthyroidism symptoms in Women/Men
- Hypothyroidism symptoms in women/men
What is thyroid cancer:-
The thyroid cancer mainly occurs in the cell of thyroid which may spread to the lungs and bones. The Cancer is a tumour and experts don’t have exact answer to thyroid csncer causes but a prediction is made which you can see here :- How cancer is caused
Types of Thyroid cancer:-
- Papillary thyroid cancer: ~ 80%
- Follicular thyroid cancer: ~ 15%
- Medullary thyroid cancer: ~ 3%
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer: ~ 2%
Signs of thyroid cancer / symptoms of thyroid cancer:-
The thyroid cancer symptoms can easily be felt. If you feel so then you are required to contact the physicians as soon as possible.
- A lump that can be felt through the skin on your neck
- Changes to your voice, including increasing hoarseness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pain in your neck and throat
- Swollen lymph nodes in your neck
To read more on Thyroid cancer you can read this :- Thyroid cancer Details (Coming soon)