Zika virus was firstly reported in 2007 in south pacific. Approx 180 people were totally effected and it was characterized by different symptoms like rash, conjunctivitis & joint pain. After 2007 it was observed in October 2013 in French Polynesia where approx 11% population get affected, it then further spread into Pacific Islands including New Caledonia, Cook Islands, and Easter Island.
What is Zika Virus?
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a member of the Flaviviridae virus family and the Flavivirus genus, transmitted by daytime-active Aedes mosquitoes, such as A. aegypti.  It is a mosquito borne disease closely related to dengue virus. It was also firstly isolated from rhesus monkey in zika forest.
Zika virus symptoms:-
- According to a research approx 1 out of 5 people are infected with zika virus become ill.
- Most common Zika virus symptoms are fever, conjunctivitis, Joint pain, muscle pain, zika fever.
- The incubation period is still not known, but is likely to a few days to 1 week.
- The Zika virus usually remain in to the infected person bloods but can spread to other persons too.
- If any person have Zika symptom then it requires hospitalization only in serious case.
- The dates in this case are very rare.
Diagnosis for Zika Virus:-
- The Zika virus is diagnosed through PCR (polymerase chain reaction) & isolation from infected blood.
- The diagnosis through serology is difficult because Zika viruses can cross react with other viruses too.
- Look for your healthcare specialist and explain the symptoms you are suffering, also convey other info if you have recently visited to Zika virus infected areas .
- Go to the blood test center if prescribed by you healthcare specialist.
Prevention from Zika Virus:-
- Clear the breeding sites of mosquitoes which reduces the risk of spreading virus.
- Wear cloth and use mosquitoes repellents to keep them away from body contact.
- Contact your health authorities and ask them to spray insecticides in to your surroundings.
- While travelling try to avoid the Zika virus infected areas.
Zika virus treatment:-
- NO vaccines OR medications are available for Zika Virus.
- Get penalty of rest.
- Drink liquids and prevent dehydration.
- Take medicine such as acetaminophen to relieve fever and pain
- Do not take aspirin OR other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- If you think that you have Zika, avoid mosquito bites for the first week of your illness.
- An infected mosquito can then spread the virus to other people.